McKinney Campground is one of the larger campgrounds on Lake Allatoona. It’s near Acworth, about 35 miles north of Atlanta, and is easily reached from I-75. There are 150 campsites, each with water and 50-amp electrical hookups (139 with standard electric and 11 RV electric). Some of the campsites are premium and offer water views. The campground is open year-round and is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers.
McKinney Campground is open all year long from 7 AM until 10:30 p.m., however, from December 1 until March 1, seasonal campsites #78-150 are closed.
Boating, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and swimming are popular activities along Lake Allatoona, an 11-mile-long treasure created by the Army Corps of Engineers. You’ll find hundreds of spots along the 270 miles of shoreline for picnicking, hiking, hunting, and relaxing.
- Accessible Restroom
- Accessible Showers
- Attendant on Duty
- Boat Launch Ramp
- Coin Laundry
- Convenience Store within 10 miles
- Courtesy Dock
- Designated Accessible Site
- Designated Swimming Beach
- Fire Rings
- Gas and Propane within 10 miles
- Hot Showers
- Lake Front Sites
- Lantern Holders
- Park Attendant
- Paved Roads and Spurs
- Picnic Tables
- RV Sites with Electric Hookups
- RV Sanitary Dump Station
- Tent Pads
- Water Hookups
Fees and Details
- This campground has first-come, first-served sites.
- Reservations are NOT made at the campground.
- To check availability of first-come, first-served sites, you may go to the campground or contact the Lake Allatoona Project Management Office at 678-721-6700.
- There is a two-night minimum for weekends and a three-night minimum for holidays.
- Site Fees are $24-28 per night (subject to change)
- Fourteen-day stay limit
- Tellus Science Museum – Cartersville
- Etowah Indian Mounds – Cartersville
- Booth Western Art Museum – Cartersville
- Kennesaw National Battlefield – Kennesaw
- White Water Park – Marietta
- Georgia Aquarium – Atlanta
- ATVs and ORVs are prohibited
- Boat ramp for boat launching
- Check in time is 4 p.m. or later
- Checkout time is 3 p.m.
- Maximum of four visitors, in addition to the registered camping party
- Maximum TWO pets per campsite (sorry, no exceptions). Livestock, wild, exotic, and known vicious pets such as: Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, etc., or those that present a high risk of serious injury, are NOT permitted in the campground.
- Noise is banned between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Three cars per campsite
- Complete Rules & Regulations can be found here: Rules
Campground closes at 10:30 p.m. Visitor Hours are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m, with these exceptions:
- December 1 until March 1: Seasonal campsites #78-150 are closed.
- October 1 until March 31: Visitor Hours are 7 am – 8:30 pm. Campground closes at 9 p.m.
- April 1 thru September 30: Gate is locked from 10:30 p.m. – 7 a.m.
Physical Address: 6659 McKinney Campground Road, Acworth, GA 30102
Take I-75 to Exit 278 – Glade Road. Turn right onto Glade Rd SE. Drive 2.7 miles. Turn left onto Kings Camp Rd SE. Go 3/4 of a mile. Turn left onto McKinney Campground Road SE. Drive 1/4 mile. Follow signs.
GPS Latitude and Longitude:
- 34.10694, -84.69556
- 34°6’25″ N, 84°41’44″ W
Reservations should be made at least three days in advance.
Call 877-444-6777 or visit Recreation.gov.
Lake Allatoona Project Management Office: 678-721-6700
Recreation.gov website: McKinney Campground.