Red Top Mountain State Park
Red Top Mountain State Park is the most popular fully featured park on Lake Allatoona. It is located on a large peninsula right in the center of the lake, directly opposite Allatoona Dam.The park is historically significant for the 1864 Atlanta Campaign of the American Civil War when the Battle of Allatoona Pass was fought on a battlefield that is now within the park. Follow the Allatoona Pass Civil War Interpretation Trail through the battlefield and find out more about the history of the battle from interpretative signs.
The park’s popularity, however, comes from being near Atlanta, just off of Interstate 75. Red Top Mountain State Park is an ideal place for swimming, boating, camping and fishing. It has pavilions available for large groups, lovely cottages for rent, and small camping areas right on the water.
Visitors can bring their own boats or rent them from Park Marina inside the park.
There are also twelve miles of hiking trails that wind through the park. These include:
- 92 Tent, Trailer, RV Sites ($25-$28)
- 1,562 acres of sheer beauty
- 18 Cottages (1BR $90-150/night. 2BR $135-160/night.)
- Cottages 17 & 18 are dog friendly. (Fee is $40/dog.)
- 2 Group shelters ($240-275, plus $100 refundable cleaning deposit)
- 7 Picnic shelters ($45/day)
- Pioneer campground ($28 per person, 10-person minimum. Click here for details.)
- Swimming beach (seasonal)
- Swimming pool (cottage guests only)
- Tennis courts
- 92 Tent, Trailer & RV Sites ($25-$28)
- 1 Yurt ($60/night)
- Reservations: 800-864-7275
- Park Office: 770-975-0055
- Visitor Center: 770-975-4226
Reservations can be made for the yurt, campsites, cottages, picnic shelters, group shelters and pioneer camp by calling the reservations’ numbers above, or by visiting the Georgia State Parks website. There is a two-night minimum stay requirement for lodging in the park on weekends.
- 50 Lodge Road SE, Cartersville, GA 30121
- Red Top Mountain State Park is 1.5 miles east of I-75 Exit #275.