Who knew the State of Georgia was so romantic? Sweethearts wishing for a memorable Valentine’s Day will find plenty of romance in Georgia’s State Parks.
Couples are invited to celebrate on winter-wonderland hikes, picnics under the stars and on full-moon wagon rides.
State parks also have a variety of romantic accommodations and specials for couples planning a weekend escape.
Red Top Mountain State Park near Cartersville invites star-crossed lovers to stroll the Iron Hill Trail, watching sunset over Lake Allatoona.
At Panola Mountain State Park near Atlanta, couples can picnic Friday evening, February 14th as they watch the sun set over the skyline, then hike to the mountaintop under a full moon.
For a historic twist on romance, Fort Mountain State Park near Chatsworth will host a hike and wagon ride to “heart rock” on Saturday, February 15th. Couples will hear a love story from the Great Depression. During the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps was building a fire tower atop the mountain. A young stone mason carved a heart-shaped stone for his sweetheart, centering it above a window. His romantic gesture must have won her heart, because they were married 59 years.
For couples wanting to cuddle by a warm fire, Georgia’s State Parks have plenty of toasty getaways for Valentine’s weekend. Most fully equipped cabins have fireplaces and beautiful views of lakes, forests and mountains. “Glamping” yurts, which are like a cross between a cabin and a campsite, have heat inside and fire pits outside. Modern campsites feature perfect spots for toasting marshmallows over a fire.
Valentine’s Day Events on February 14th & 15th
For details, prices and a complete event list, visit GeorgiaStateParks.org/events.
- Hike to the Heart Stone at Fort Mountain State Park, Chatsworth
- Valentines Under Venus Stargazing Party at Fort McAllister Historic Park, near Savannah
- Valentine’s Day Full-Moon Wagon Ride at Hard Labor Creek State Park, Rutledge
- Couples Twilight Hike at High Falls State Park, Jackson
- Music In The Maple Restaurant at Amicalola Falls State Park’s lodge, Dawsonville
- Full-Moon Valentine’s Day Hike and Picnic at Panola Mountain State Park, Stockbridge
- Valentine’s Day Tour and Hike at Buck Shoals hosted by Smithgall Woods State Park, Helen
- Valentine’s Day “Ruins to Rapids” Full-Moon Hike at Sweetwater Creek State Park, Lithia Springs
- Couples Sunset Hike at Red Top Mountain State Park, Lake Allatoona
- Valentine’s Baskets in Cottages at Seminole State Park, Bainbridge
- “Love Birds” birding craft at Mistletoe State Park, near Augusta