A temporary closure will affect five pedestrian bridges along the 12.8-mile portion of the Silver Comet Trail in Cobb County through April of 2014.
Cobb County Department of Transportation (CCDOT) crews will repair or replace bridge ends over Cooper Lake Bridge, Olley Creek Bridge, Noses Creek Bridge, Lucille Creek Bridge and Powder Springs Creek Bridge.
The repair work is funded by the 2011 SPLOST and will result in consecutive closures of each pedestrian bridge through April 2014. There will be no access or no detours across the bridges during construction. While the pedestrian bridge work is being done additional crews will repair fences, drainage systems and improve grading along the Silver Comet Trail.
Here are the bridges, mile markers and dates of closures of pedestrian bridges on the Silver Comet Trail, depending on the weather:
- Cooper Lake Bridge: 0.0 – 1.2; Jan. 20 – Feb. 16
- Olley Creek Bridge: 6.3 – 7.3; Feb. 10 – 21
- Noses Creek Bridge: 8.3 – 8.7; Feb. 17 – March 21
- Lucille Creek Bridge: 10.5 – 11.2 (Phase 1); March 17 – 28
- Lucille Creek Bridge: 10.5 – 11.2 (Phase 2); April 7 – 20
- Powder Springs Creek Bridge: 11.6 – 12.3; April 14 – 25
The full Silver Comet Trail is projected to be open to cyclists and pedestrians during the Cobb County Schools Spring break from Friday afternoon on March 29 until Monday morning on April 7, 2014.