• decreasing shoreline erosion
• bringing awareness to both state and federal agencies
• the quality of water and
• the lake’s recreational benefits.
LAA has released a formal “position paper” detailing its perspective on the issues affecting Lake Allatoona’s future.
This excerpt from LAA’s position paper will give you a good idea of their reasoning:
“The LAAs positions are a direct outgrowth of its responsibility for leadership and representation of local citizenry interests in stewardship of the God-given and mankind-enhanced environment with which our community has been blessed. The LAA believes that the execution of a combination of the below outlined recommended changes could result in routine Lake water levels improvements with a two foot increase in normal summer pool level, held 4 weeks longer, begun 6 weeks earlier, and an 8 feet winter pool drawdown reduction. Shorthand for this overall program is 2 4 6 8, Allatoona Clean.
This overall water level/stability improvement would support five important outcomes:
- Increase NW Georgia water supplies.
- Reduce water quality degradation.
- Improve Alabama River navigation water release capabilities.
- Improve Lake Allatoona recreation benefits.
- Continue to support power generation and flood control needs.”
We encourage you to learn more about the Lake Allatoona Association.